Monday, September 29, 2008

Obsessions

Does anyone else ever get obsessed with something? Am I the only person in the world who gets a mind to do something and then its the only focus?

As you all know from my blog, I read all the Twilight books relatively fast. I was completely obsessed with finishing them. (Dan is reading them now...hee hee) That was all I could think about. At work it was hurry and figure out what we are doing so I could read on my plan time. I was beginning to think that I needed to check myself in somewhere. :) I listened to several interviews with Stephenie Meyer and was just in awe. (I still am!) I'm reading The Host now. I like it but I'm taking my time.

This leads me to my next obsession. I have always wanted to be a writer. I have had this dream since I was about 12 years old. I wrote a play for the YW in my ward when I was in high school. I wrote a short story that I should have had published but never did. I wrote half a novel by the end of my senior year but things happened and I was discouraged. I gave up my dream to be a writer. While on my mission, my companion and I wrote a song for my brothers wedding. Another companion of mine was playing around on the keyboard and created a song that 2 months later I wrote words for it. When I got back home, I called Diana the one who helped me write the song and asked what she thought about getting it published. She liked the idea and told me to put my name on it since she claims she only came up with 2 words. So I published it as a Poem in the World Literary Poet Society's Anthology. It felt so awesome to have something that I wrote out there for someone else to enjoy. So...

That brings me to my next obsession. I have Stephenie Meyer to thank for this one. I saw an interview with her and she said that if you have a dream to write do it. You will never know unless you try. So I'm trying! I have written 5 chapters so far. I may post the first chapter on my blog soon to get some thoughts. I have a couple of friends from work who are reading it as I go. Everyone so far has been really supportive and excited. I hope that continues! ;)

So if anyone knows how to get books published....please let me know! That's the part that scares me to death!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh, oh! Oh! Can I read it? Huh, huh, can I? Please? I think that is awesome. Go Mary!

McKae M said...

I wanna read it too!!!!